Friday 25 January 2013

25. A few lessons in music

I started playing guitar when I was 15 on a cheap clunky acoustic guitar. I started lessons with a gentleman called Kev, who had a great reputation. I just wanted to learn a few chords and write a few songs, as I had just started listening to John Lennon. Kev was a world class player, stand-up guy and would subsequently become an inspiration and mentor to me in other things apart from music. He was a master of the guitar, and could play literally any piece of music.

As most guitarists and musicians will tell you, music theory and sight reading can be daunting, perplexing and painfully dull at times. This technical language can appear to be firmly divorced from the organic creativity, self expression and 'jamming' that brings joy to many people. It's the reason they start playing in the first place. In order to be a good musician, however, some theory knowledge is essential and as a friend of mine said -

"In order to be a good guitarist you have to be a bit of a geek, but we try to hide it"! 

But it was Kev who demystified music and broke it down into its simplest form.

He simply said, "There are just twelve notes in music, it's just how you play them and when you play them".

He encouraged improvisation rather than blind adherence to modes, scales and technical virtuosity. He taught me the blues. He taught me to jam. He gave me the tools to play from my heart and express my feelings through wood and steel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment